Well, I've finally done it! I migrated this blog from Drupal 6 to Drupal 8. I did a test run yesterday with a personal blog of mine and found the process was relatively easy. Both sites are relatively simple.
There are other blog posts about the process as well as documentation on Drupal.org so I won't repeat lots of details.
I'm running Drupal 8.5.1 as of this blog post. I chose to use all of the various migration modules that come with Drupal 8 core, including the two marked as experimental. Once I had them enabled I clicked the link to get to the upgrade form in the UI. One of the sites did have file uploads and all of them were pulled in seamlessly. I had created a backup of the sites/[site-name] directory and placed it in my new Drupal 8 sites directory.
Here are issues I encountered:
- Administration Menu is (apparently) not properly ported to Drupal 8 and it blew things up on the site yesterday. I had to manually clean things up in the database so that module was not enabled in my Drupal 8 site and clear cache.
- The taxonomy term reference to the Tags vocabulary needed the field setting updated so that it selected the Tags vocabulary.
- When I click the user in the Toolbar it does not switch the tray so that it shows View profile, Edit profile and Log out. (That's still an issue as I write this. I haven't investigated it enough to figure out what's going wrong, nor have I filed an issue.)
- The feed that taxonomy provides for terms has changed slightly. I filed an issue to get Planet Drupal to use the new feed.
- No views were imported.
- The pathauto patterns weren't imported.
- Disqus doesn't handle the migration.
Other than those things, I can't say I ran into much of anything else. And, aside from the site blowing up from Administration Menu, there wasn't much that presented a real challenge.
If you are reading this post on Planet Drupal, then you know I'm back up and running!
I'll still need to theme this site again. And I'll need to replace some functionality that was previously provided by Advanced Blog. I haven't yet installed and tested out the Drupal 8 port of Tagadelic.
One more note: I decided to just delete the comments that I had for the Drupal 6 version of this site since I don't want to use the Comment module, preferring to use Disqus instead.