Many of you are probably already familiar with using the amazing Views Slideshow display plugin for Views. Out of the box it comes with different types of controls for the navigation. But, perhaps what you really want is to be able to add some other form of navigation, like those "dots" that you see in many slideshows. Here's how you do it:
- Create an image content type.
- Navigate to admin/content/types/add.
- Enter the human readable "Name:" Image.
- Enter the "Type:" image.
- Enter a description.
- In the Submission form settings field set, enter a Title field label, Body field label, and the Explanation or submission guidelines as you choose.
- In the Workflow settings field set uncheck Promoted to front page.
- In the Comment settings field set select the disabled radio button for the Default comment setting field.
- Click Save content type.
Disclaimer: The intent of this presentation was to give people a quick, brief, and focused introduction to views. I chose to do certain things in certain ways to stick to that intent. Thus, don't consider that this is the only, or even optimal way, of creating a slide show. However, I used almost these exact steps to create the slide show at the top of the front page on http://isaacsonwebdevelopment.com. The only additional things I did were to code some CSS and put some "anchor" tags in the image nodes and text nodes.